Saturday, November 8, 2014

Immunizations

Immunizations are important in the defense of certain diseases.  Polio, Smallpox, and Measles are a few of the diseases that have been combated due to vaccines. While this is very positive, there are some issues that stem from vaccines that have been causing many concerns in recent years.
Many of these issues have to do with reactions to vaccines and also the safety of so many vaccinations in early childhood.

This is a very hot topic in my work place. Many of my coworkers have recently had children. Many questions are thrown around:
"Why do my kids need way more shots than I got?"
"Why can't certain shots be separated?"
"Who's your doctor? Do they let you pick your shot schedule?"
 "How are you handling vaccines?"

I must mention that my coworkers and I have been working in special needs populations for many years. When you hear that many children that you work with were fine until they received a certain vaccination, it may create some concern in regards to our own children.

Many of my coworkers have decided to space out vaccines instead of having their children receive multiple doses at once.  The concept of spacing out vaccines is based on a book written by Dr. Sears. The book is titled "The Vaccine Book".  Dr. Sears is a pediatrician who explains why certain vaccines are given, the contents of the vaccine,  the risks of certain vaccines, and offers an alternative vaccine schedule.  This book is very controversial but it can be an option for some parents.  I do believe vaccinations are important but I will take the time to research multiple aspects once I do have children.

I will link some addition information about vaccines below, these support both sides of the issue:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/vaccines

http://www.generationrescue.org/resources/vaccination/vaccine-ingredients-and-side-effects/

http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/safe/autism/overburdening.cfm

Adhering to vaccine schedule is best way to protect children from disease 
  • Fisher
AAP News 2009; 30:4
http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/_issues2012/2012_vaccinations.html


No comments:

Post a Comment